Almost every person who has his own summer cottage, at some point decides to closely tackle the area around the house. Usually the site is used for planting plants – vegetables, fruit trees, sometimes it is completely given under the lawn. But in any case, this land needs preliminary processing, which can be carried out both manually and using technology. The latter option is in demand if there is a large area of land in private ownership – for example, adapted for a farm.
Progress in the agricultural sector does not stand still. If earlier plowing of the land was carried out manually or by a tractor with a plow that turned over layers of soil, today garden tillers is widely used. What is this method and what benefits does it have?
What is Cultivation?
The cultivation of a land plot is understood as a special method of plowing the soil without turning over its upper layer. The method is very popular with many summer residents due to the relative ease of implementation, the possibility in this way to plow the land both under the vegetable beds and under the lawn. At the end of the work, the site becomes visually smoother; it can be used for planting seedlings or preliminary work (fertilizing, spraying herbicides).
Advantages of Cultivation
The positive results of the cultivation of the site are:
- Providing improved air access to the soil, which positively affects the speed and quality of plant growth.
- Activation of the work of beneficial microorganisms that live in the ground.
- Retention of maximum moisture: the upper layers do not overturn, excessive water evaporation does not occur.
- Rapid warming up of the land, if work is carried out in spring, immediately before sowing.
- Trimming the root system of weeds, which stops or dramatically slows down their growth.
If the cultivation of the land plot is carried out correctly, in compliance with the technology, then the seeds planted in this soil will very soon delight you with healthy, uniform shoots.
What is the Cultivation Methods
- Hand cultivator. The working mechanism is a shaft with star-shaped discs attached to it. Suitable for small areas, greenhouses, single beds and generally on pliable, soft soil.
- Garden Tiller. Cultivation of the land plot with this device is required when there are many beds, in order to save time and improve the quality of plant growth. This method is used most often because it is inexpensive and saves a person’s physical resources.
- Tractor with attachments. The method is used on farms for processing especially large cultivated areas. The attachments are pre-adjusted according to the type of soil.